6th December 1998
- Details of the new series of limited edition prints by 99.94 Editions have been added. This includes preview images of the prints by Brigitte Hansen, Barry Dean, Sy Barry, and Fred Fredericks.
29th November 1998
- An embarassing mistake in the FREW's 50th Anniversary has now been corrected. Apologies to Stuart O'Connor and Tony and Cathy Di Dio for the mix-up.
24th November 1998
- A detailed report on the official celebrations for FREW's 50th Anniversary is finished at last. Several photos from the evening and transcripts of most of the speeches are included.
- The cover archive for the Australian Woman's Mirror Annuals is now complete. Thanks once again to Colin Williams for helping fill the gaps.
2nd September 1998
- The FREW Phantom Cover Archive is now open for your viewing pleasure. Thanks to the amazing efforts of David Budds, the archive features the covers for all FREW Phantom comics up to #100. We present this archive as a small token of appreciation for Frew Publications' contribution to the Phantom phan community over the last 50 years.
18th August 1998
- Scans of two more Australian Woman's Mirror Phantom Annuals are now available (#3 and #4). Sincere thanks to David Budds for his help. I should have quality scans of Annuals #1 and #2 very soon, thanks to the generosity of Colin Williams.
- David is also in the process of helping me set up a cover archive of the first 100 Frew Phantom comics!!! We're hoping to have it ready before Frew's 50th Anniversary celebrations, in recognition of their wonderful contribution to the Phantom Phan community.
- The Publishing History of The Phantom in Spain has been revised to account for information provided by Chris Smith.
7th June 1998
- Updated the Frew Publishing Chronology (at last). I'll be giving this one a solid overhaul after the 50th Anniversary celebrations in September. Hopefully the lists will then include full writer and artist credits for the Semic stories, and the original Semic issue numbers.
29th May 1998
- I recently had a suggestion to add a guest book to this site ... who am I to argue with such a great idea??? Please sign my guestbook and perhaps then view my guestbook (thanks to GuestWorld for this service).
3rd May 1998
- Details of a new giveaway comic entitled The Wisdom of The Phantom have been added to the Publishing History of The Phantom in Australia.
4th April 1998
- Jim Shepherd from Frew Publications recently supplied me with a listing of the story titles from Phantom comics produced by New Zealand's Feature Publications. The almost complete list was compiled by Barry Stubbersfield with thanks to John Henderson and Wally Bratasiuk. I've filled in the gaps and produced a complete index to all of these comics. Follow this link to the Publishing History of The Phantom in New Zealand
- Updated the Romano Felmang Index.
22 March 1998
- Added an introduction to the Publishing History of The Phantom in the USA.
- Some more detail about the Big Little Books is now available.
- Chris Smith has kindly provided me with further details about some comic book titles that have been omitted from the Publishing History of The Phantom in Spain. I hope to add these to the list as soon as I get the opportunity.
7 March 1998
- More detail about the Publishing History of The Phantom in New Zealand has been added, and scans of a several different covers are now available.
24 January 1998
- The Publishing History of The Phantom in Spain has been expanded and new scans added for various other titles. Hopefully this is now a complete catalogue of all Spanish Phantom comics, but if you know of any missing please tell me via email.
20 December 1997
25 Nov 1997
- Many people missed out on downloading Bob Jenson's Phantom Wallpaper graphics before he took them off his website. Never fear, he sent them all to me and they are now available from this site. Click HERE to see Bob's handiwork.
- Macintosh users can now download some custom-made Phantom fonts and icons. Sincere thanks go to Fred Palumbo who created the fonts and most of the icons. PC users can preview the fonts and some of the icons. If someone is willing to provide me with a Windows 95 version of these files, I'll put them up too.
21 Nov 1997
- Updates to the following pages: Super Yank Comics, and Giant Size Comics. Both now have full details of the Phantom stories in each issue. I'm still unsure of the number of Phantom pages in each of these issues.
12 Oct 1997
27 Sep 1997
- This website was moved from http://www.ozemail.com.au/~guran/ to http://www.fam.aust.com/deepwoods/. I've now got 20Mb to play with instead of only 5Mb, so prepare to go on a tour of LOTS of new stuff:
- To start with, The Phantom Reference Guide has been given a much needed overhaul. It is now much easier to navigate from this page.
- Phantom Publications in Australia. Includes details of all Australian Phantom publications that I know of (not just Frew stuff). Cover scans are available for most of the publications.
- Phantom Publications in New Zealand. An index of the stories printed in the series of Phantom comics from Feature Publications.
- Phantom Publications in England. Includes details of all English Phantom comics that I know of, including cover scans for most publications.
- Phantom Publications in Spain. A mere sample of the multitude of Phantom comics published in Spain. These are from the 1960s and 1970s.
- Cover scans of the DC and Marvel Phantom comics are now available, and the descriptions have been expanded.
- Cover scans of some more of the American Reprint Books have been added.
- Whew! That's it for now ... but I've still got a bit more space to play with. Please let me know if you find any glaringly obvious html mistakes. I write this stuff from scratch so I'm sure some boo-boos crept in somewhere.
- I'm also using a different email address now: email@example.com. The old one still works but I'm going to try and redirect all my email to the new address.
14 Aug 1997
- Updated the Reprint Books page.
11 Aug 1997
- Some of my favourite non-Phantom links are now available for your interest.
27 May 1997
- Provided extra detail about the Gold Key / King / Charlton series of Phantom comics from the USA.
- The covers of all the Gold Key comics have also been rescanned and are now much better quality images. They are still on the Gold Key Comics page, which has been reorganised slightly.
21 May 1997
- The information about the Friends of the Phantom has been heavily revised to give a truer indication that there are two distinctly different organisations with that name.
3 May 1997
- The Felmang Index now includes a scan from one of Felmang's early stories for the Italian Phantom comics. Thanks to Chris Smith for providing me with a couple of the comics.
24 Apr 1997
- Details and cover scans of the Phantom Adventures comics produced by Frew Publications in 1955-56.
- A comparison of the daily and Sunday versions of the classic 1949 story, The Flirtatious Princess.
- More information about the various Comic Shops which stock Phantom comics in Australia has been added. I have tried to give an indication of the sorts of things you can buy from each shop.
30 Mar 1997
26 Mar 1997
- Now that I've got OCR software for my scanner, I finally got around to adding an excellent article from Australian Penthouse (February 1985) which is about various members from the Australian Phantom Club. The article is called Phantom Phreaks and I'll sure you'll find it interesting, since it gives some insight into what makes a Aussie Phantom fan what they are.
22 Mar 1997
- Updated the Swedish Phantom Club page after receiving some excellent information from Andreas Eriksson. There's also details about a new Swedish Phantom Club called The Jungle Patrol.
27 Feb 1997
- A day or so ago, I received a nice letter from Romano Felmang in which he provided me with details of the Phantom stories he did for Fratelli Spada publishers in Italy, during the late 1960s. I've added this to the Felmang Story Index, and updated it with some of the stories he has recently finished plus those that he is currently working on.
25 Feb 1997
- This web site is now 10 months old and has already received it's 10,000th visitor! If you so wish, the hit statistics can be viewed HERE. Thank you to all who have stopped by and enjoyed my handiwork. I must also pass on my thanks to several people who have been immensely helpful with various aspects of this site: Bob Griffin, Ivan Pedersen, Rusty Rafferty, Krishna Curam, Rhys Threlfall, Fredrik Pettersson, Henrique Neto, and Paul McCall (hope I haven't missed anyone!).
21 Feb 1997
- You can now get a preview of each Frew Phantom comic on the New@FREW page. Includes a scan of the cover of each new issue and a brief summary of the contents. Due to a shortage of space on this web site, I will not be keeping an archive of old covers, so get them while you can. That situation might change in future, but it will cost me extra to buy more web space.
5 Feb 1997
- A Biography of Lee Falk has finally been compiled and added to these pages. It pieces together the bits and pieces of information from various sources, so hopefully there is something new it it for everyone.
4 Feb 1997
- A new page about Phantom comics in India is now available for you to read. Unfortunately, I don't have any scans to illustrate the page yet. Many thanks to Krishna Curam for his research.
- The page about how to obtain Frew Subscriptions & Back Issues has been updated. I have added a huge list of addresses for various comic shops throughout Australia.
- The details about my favourite comic shop, Comic Quest, have been moved to a separate page. Please note that Comic Quest's prices have increased slightly due to difficulties with obtaining stock -- most collector's try to sell to Comic Quest at more than they've been charging! You can blame Johnson's Official Phantom Price Guide for that.
27 Jan 1997
- The Fan Clubs page has been treated to a major revision. It has now been split into separate pages for each country/region, and the text has been updated.
- More of a "substraction" than an "addition", but I've scrapped the pages with reviews of The Phantom Movie, in order to free up a little space for some future additions. There are plenty of other web pages which give reviews of the movie and I've still got a huge list of links for you to work your way through if you're so inclined.
- The Lee Falk bio is very near completion, and I've now got several pictures ready to illustrate it. Keep your eyes peeled over the next few weeks.
21 Dec 1996
- The A Purple Phantom? page has had a major revision. It now includes scans from various stories which illustrate cases where Lee Falk specified the Phantom's costume colour. The text has also been revised to take into account Lee's comments in recent interviews.
15 Dec 1996
- Added an index of all of Romano Felmang's Phantom stories with details of where you can find them in various publications.
- Over the past few weeks, I've made several small updates to various pages, such as the Frew Publishing Chronology, fanclubs page, and links pages. Another new addition to the Frew History page is a scan of the "Count the Pygmies" picture from the Great Competition in 1956.
- The "What's Planned" page has now been made redundant, and much of this information can now be found on the Site Index page.
- I'm currently working on a brief biography of Lee Falk which should be ready within the next couple of weeks. Also in progress are pages dealing with the various Phantom comics published in Spain, India and Scandinavia.
- And you might notice that this page no longer makes use of tables. The same goes for the Phantom News page.
7 Nov 1996
- After several requests, I've put together an index page showing all of the pages on this Phantom web site. You can find it on the opening page.
1 Nov 1996
- The opening page has been given a well overdue facelift to remove a lot of extraneous text. Plus the name of the "Monkey Mail" page has been changed to Phantom News to avoid any confusion with the Monkey Mail mailing list.
24 Oct 1996
- An interview with Felmang has now been added. It is accessed via the Phantom Reference Guide. Romano Felmang is an Italian artist who has drawn numerous Phantom stories for Fratelli Spada (Italy) and, more recently, Semic Press (Scandinavia).
- I'm still working on compiling information on Lee Falk and the "official" Phantom artists ... Ray Moore, Wilson McCoy, Bill Lignante, Sy Barry (and his assistants). Stay tuned!
18 Oct 1996
- I have now added a page with information about Phantom Fan Clubs and Fanzines from around the world. They are accessed via the Phantom Reference Guide. If you have any information about other Fan Clubs or Fanzines that I have missed, please let me know via email, and I will add them to the page.
6 Oct 1996
- Scans of the covers of ALL the Gold Key Phantom Comics are now available. They are accessed via the Gold Key, King, Charlton page in the USA Publishing History.
- A detailed list of all the Phantom stories published in Ace Comics and King Comics. This information is accessed via the Ace, King, and Future Comics page in the USA Publishing History.
- Several other small additions have been made to the various USA Publishing History pages. The missing scan for the cover of Feature Book #56 has also been added.
- Three new Phantom web pages have been added to the list of Links. They are from Norway, Sweden and Brazil, so you can now get a taste of the international Phantom.
- There are about a dozen new movie review links to check out, thanks once again to Rusty Rafferty.
30 Aug 1996
- the Lee Falk Sunday story list now includes the issue numbers of the most recent Frew edition for each story. This completes the task I started on 26 Jul 1996 with the daily story list.
- I apologise to those who had difficulties accessing this site over the last few days. Unfortunately it was beyond my control -- OzEmail decided to upgrade their web server.
23 Aug 1996
- Today the number of hits on my Phantom page passed the 5000 mark. Not a bad effort for only 4 months of operation. Thanks very much to all those who have visited and especially those who keep coming back! I must also express my gratitude to Bob Griffin and Ivan Pedersen for helping me out with providing information and scanned images for these pages. Without their help I'd be lost!
20 Aug 1996
- you can now view a complete publishing chronology for the FREW Phantom comic, from these web pages. It includes story titles, daily and Sunday order numbers, and other details for the Semic-, Australian- and American-created stories. Click here for a shortcut to the first page.
8 Aug 1996
- I've added some images to the "A Purple Phantom?" document which is accessable via the Reference Guide. You'll get a kick out of some of the weird and wonderful colour specifications!
26 Jul 1996
- the Lee Falk daily story list now includes the issue numbers of the most recent Frew edition for each story. I haven't got around yet to adding this info for the Sunday list [see 30 Aug 96].
23 Jun 1996
- added a special tribute article on Frew Publications to the Reference Guide. You can also find information about obtaining subscriptions and back issues of the Frew Phantom comic.
18 Jun 1996
- added heaps more links - mainly reviews of the Phantom movie. There is some overlap with my own Reviews page, which I'll sort out eventually.
- welcome aboard to another new Phantom web site. This one's by Greg Raftery from Perth, WA, Australia.
15 Jun 1996
- added a whole pile of images to the USA Publishing History page. Larger images are accessable via links from the thumbnails. Special thanks go to Bob Griffin from Michigan for providing all the scans.
8 Jun 1996
- added reviews of the Phantom Movie to the Reference Guide. This location will also include transcripts of magazine articles about the movie. Already in place are transcripts of the recent Starlog and Sci-Fi Entertainment articles.
24 May 1996
- added a pile of new links. Look for at The Phantom Hyperlinks Collection.
20 May 1996
- added a cool review of the Phantom Movie by Sci-Fi Entertainment to the list of links.
- restructured the hyperlinks page slightly.
- added an edited version of the Jungle Patrol members list from the Phantom Movie web page. Is YOUR name on it?
9 May 1996
- I finally finished html-ising Bob Griffin's guide to the Publishing History of the Phantom in the USA. Click here to have a look.
- added another web site to the list of links. Have a look here
3 May 1996
- spoke with Anthony Harvey from Lee Walsh Licencing (the licencing agent for KFS) and he reassured me that I shouldn't have any hassles with copyright infringement with this page. Better to be safe than sorry!
- made some corrections to A Purple Phantom?
- added a couple more links to the list of Phantom 2040 sites including details of the USA and Australian airdates.
1 May 1996
- split up the original page into four separate ones to improve download times
- added a counter to the index page
- added the What's Planned, What's New, and Monkey Mail pages
- added a demo link for one of the Sunday stories
- added the document A Purple Phantom?
30 Apr 1996
- converted daily and Sunday story lists to html Tables
(much easier on the eye)
- removed the name of a ghost-artist from the Sunday lists (at the "indirect" request of King Features Syndicate)
- added another web site to the list of links (Someone in Singapore)
28 Apr 1996
- Phantom ... Ghost Who Walks web page up and running
- Happy Birthday LEE FALK!
Return to the Deep Woods