Comics Revue is a monthly magazine first published in 1986, that specialises in reprinting various comic strips, new and old. They began reprinting daily Phantom strips in 1988 with #27, starting at 14 Sep 1987 (Zabadabah, D162). Issue #27 also featured a 3 1/2 page article "A Visit with Lee Falk" by Anthony Tollin - a great read! The magazine continues to run the stories sequentially from that date, alongside other titles such as Alley Oop, Tarzan, Spiderman, BC, Bloom County, Flash Gordon, Gasoline Alley, Modesty Blaise, Steve Canyon, etc.
You can arrange a subscription to Comics Revue or buy back issues by sending an email to the Publisher, Rick Norwood. There's also a Comics Revue webpage.
- #30, #39 and Annual #1 did not have any Phantom strips.
- #100 featured a Phantom Strip Story list for the daily and Sunday strips.
- #120 featured an interview with Romano Felmang, plus a 4-page short story he drew for Christie's auction house in Rome.
- #123 included a 20 page reprint of the brief 1938 daily story Adventure in Algiers (D6)
- #159 to #164 featured a reprint of Sy Barry's first Phantom daily story The Slave Market of Mucar (D82).
- #166 was a special Phantom issue, with the first chapter of Prisoner of the Himalayas by Falk and Moore, along with a short biography of Lee Falk by Todd Goldberg, and a complete check-list of daily and Sunday stories.
A list of Phantom appearances on the front cover of Comics Revue is shown below. Parentheses denote appearances with characters from other strips. #56 and #79 probably don't even warrant mention in this list - the Phantom's appearance on the cover is limited to a tiny picture of his head.
Issue Cover Artist #27 Sy Barry (Annual #2) Ron Frenz & Fred Fredericks #34 Sy Barry #48 Julia Mather (#50) Brian Stelfreeze (#56) Jim Scancarelli #75 Romano Felmang (#79) Charles Vess #84 Sy Barry #88 Romano Felmang #97 Larry Lieber (#100) George Perez #105 Romano Felmang #109 Rux Hensley #119 George Olesen / Keith Williams #123 Ray Moore #128 George Olesen / Keith Williams #138 Romano Felmang #150 Paul Chadwick #162 Sy Barry #166 (back) Ray Moore (Jul 6, 1941 Sunday)
Two ultra-basic Phantom comics were published by Manuscript Press and JAL Publications on 21 and 28 Jan 1994, respectively. Both issues were printed entirely in black and white (covers included), and measured 170mm x 260mm (6.5" x 10.25"). They ran the Sunday story The Fourth Son (aka The Runt, S137 1991/2). Half of issue #2 featured a Rip Kirby story.
Return to the USA Publishing History