|30 Aug 1996||
- August 1996 (#229) issue of Starlog magazine (USA) has a feature story about the making of The Phantom Movie, by David McDonnell. I think the previous issue (#228) might also have had an article on Kristy Swanson. I don't have that issue, so if you can confirm this please email me.
|27 Aug 1996||
- Frew Publications are still intending to commence a dedicated Phantom Magazine ... in addition to the current comic book. They are hoping to have the first issue ready for sale at the end of September or early October. It will be a full colour magazine and is planned to be a regular quarterly release.
- Marvel's Phantom 2040 comic books have been recently reprinted in the UK by a small English outfit called Phoenix Press. I haven't seen them in Australia yet, but I'm sure the major comic shops will get them in sometime.
- The 1997 Phantom Diary is being produced by Trielle Corporation this year. It should be available from various bookshops in September.
- I'm not entirely sure, but I think there may actually be a second 1997 Phantom Diary produced by Mallon Publishing ... they produced the last 4 diaries. Hopefully they'll release another desk calendar too ... the 1996 one was excellent.
|24 Aug 1996||
- This morning's Recovery programme on ABC TV (Australia) had an interview with Billy Zane. There were some prizes to give away too but I don't know (yet) the details of how to enter. Recovery have their own web page on the ABC site, which makes very brief mention of this interview.
- Billy Zane was apparently also on Hey Hey It's Saturday tonight. I'm afraid that not even the temptation of seeing some footage of the movie was enough to convince me to watch this aweful show!
|23 Aug 1996||
- Frew Phantom #1144 released;The Devil's Library Pt.2, Script: Claes Reimerthi (aka Michael Tierres), Art: Joan Boix, Cover: Antonio Lemos, 36 pages.
This is the second of a four part story.
- Frew's reprint of The Sky Band has been delayed to #1147 which will go on sale 27 September. This is designed to match the Australian release of the movie on 26 September.
- The Australian edition of the Official Movie Magazine for The Phantom is now available through most newsagents. It has been reproduced (under licence) from Starlog's Official Movie Magazine, by scanning the pages -- you can even see the original staple holes on some pages!
|17 Aug 1996||
- Frew Phantom #1143 released;The Devil's Library Pt.1, Script: Claes Reimerthi (aka Michael Tierres), Art: Joan Boix, Cover: Tessa, 36 pages.
This is the first of a four part story.
|13 Aug 1996||
- The Phantom Movie dropped out of the top 60 box office movies in the USA in its 9th weekend, and has now finished at most theaters. The performance results in North America (inc. Canada) are shown below:
(Box Office results from Production Weekly)
- 1st weekend (7-9 Jun 1996) = US$5.0M (#6)
- 2nd weekend (14-16 Jun 1996) = US$3,077,357 (#7)
- 3rd weekend (21-23 Jun 1996) = US$1,584,773 (#9)
- 4th weekend (28-30 Jun 1996) = US$855,662 (#11)
- 5th weekend (5-7 Jul 1996) = US$326,686 (#17)
- 6th weekend (12-14 Jul 1996) = US$274,355 (#17)
- 7th weekend (19-21 Jul 1996) = US$72,641 (#38)
- 8th weekend (26-28 Jul 1996) = US$25,647 (#55)
- Net gross (52 days) = US$16,673,164
The movie cost US$43M to make -- not a great commercial venture so far!
|10 Aug 1996||
- The Father's Day catalogue for Granny May's novelty stores is now available and has lots of new Phantom merchandise in it ... T-shirts, baseball cap, tie, boxer shorts, underpants, dressing gown, satin vest, cummerband & bow tie set, socks, watch, frosted drinking glasses, shot glasses, stubbie holders, wall clock, candle, and Phantom rings. WOW! Break out the chequebook!
|7 Aug 1996||
- Nestle (Peters) have a new Phantom Icecream on the market throughout Australia. Quoting from the wrapper ...
"The treat that's cool ... Taste that cannot die!"
"A cool caramel skull with piercing purple eyes and a choc back. The ghost with the most!".
For further information you can contact Nestle Consumer Services on 1800 633 200 (Freecall) in Australia.
|2 Aug 1996||
- Frew Phantom #1142 released; 2 stories in a 68 page double-size issue featuring Lee Falk's two latest stories; Cover: Jim Shepherd
Queen Medusa, Script: Lee Falk, Art: George Olesen / Fred Fredericks
Mr Big, Script: Lee Falk, Art: George Olesen / Keith Williams
|1 Aug 1996||
- The official release date in Australia for the Phantom Movie is now 26 September. It's been delayed a fortnight from the previous release date (12 September).
|30 Jul 1996||
- July & August edition (#10) of the Silhouette Spectrum Australian non-sport trading card price guide has a 3 page article on the Phantom Movie. There's also a pull-out poster measuring 410mm by 290mm showing Billy Zane in Phantom costume astride Hero. Plus they are running a competition with first prize being a box of the movie trading cards.
- Granny May's novelty stores in Australia have two new Phantom T-shirts -- one of them shows the classic Ray Moore style of Phantom with arms crossed. There's also a new Phantom tie which has a nice subtle titling of the Phantom logo, and a small image of the Phantom's head at the bottom. The T-shirts are going for Aus$30 and the tie is Aus$36.
|26 Jul 1996||
- Frew Phantom #1141 released;The Golden Man, Script: Claes Reimerthi (aka Michael Tierres), Art: Felmang/Rancho, Cover: Jim Shepherd, 36 pages.
|12 Jul 1996||
- Frew Phantom #1140 released;Captain Walker's Log Book, Script: Claes Reimerthi (aka Michael Tierres), Art: Felmang/Usam, Cover: Antonio Lemos, 36 pages.
|1 Jul 1996||
- August 1996 edition of Movie magazine (Australia) has a 4 page article by Anthony C. Ferrante about the Phantom Movie (pp.22-25). Also includes a picture of Billy Zane as the Phantom on the cover.
- Granny May's novelty stores in Australia have a new Phantom candle produced by Skansen Giftware. It's a 3D form of the Phantom from the waist up in the classic arms crossed pose -- about 18cm (7 inches) high. There is even a metal skull ring buried in the wax which can be removed if you decide to burn the candle (heaven forbid!). This item is retailing for Aus$20.
|28 Jun 1996||
- Frew Phantom #1139 released; 2 stories in a 68 page double-size issue; Cover: Antonio Lemos
The Mermaids of Melo Straits, Script: Lee Falk (remake of 1945/46 daily), Art: Felmang/Ferri
The Magic Flute, Script: Don Avenell, Art: Hans Lindahl
|26 Jun 1996||
- A special advance screening of the Phantom Movie was held today at 3:30pm, at the Cygnet Cinema on Preston Street, Como (Sydney, Australia). Tickets were available by invitation only ... and I didn't get one!
|21 Jun 1996||
- Frew Phantom #1138 released; The Sea Jackals, Script: Donne Avenell, Art: Kari Leppanen, Cover: Jim Shepherd, 36 pages.
|18 Jun 1996||
- Two Phantom action figures are now on the market in Australia: the Phantom with the Skull Throne (Aus$16), and the Phantom with Hero (Aus$20). The manufacturer is Street Players and the Toys R Us stores are the major resalers. Don't get too excited, however - they both look disgusting!
|7 Jun 1996||
- The Phantom Movie is released in the USA. Reviews to follow in a few days.
- Frew Phantom #1137 released; The Snake Cult Pt.2, Script: Lenart Moberg, Art: Carlos Cruz, Cover: Antonio Lemos, 36 pages. A continuation of the President Lubanga storyline.
Includes a two page editorial Countdown to the Movie with 2 exclusive photos, and a publicity shot from Paramount showing the Phantom astride Hero.
|31 May 1996||
- A Biography of The Phantom (and Lee Falk) was aired on Arts & Entertainment Cable TV in the USA, at 8 P.M. and 12 Midnight. There was also a "Making of The Phantom" show on HBO (USA again) earlier this week.
|29 May 1996||
- The Inkworks Phantom Movie trading cards are released for sale. They are available in Australia already, selling for around Aus$80 per box.
|24 May 1996||
- Frew Phantom #1136 released; The Snake Cult Pt.1, Script: Lenart Moberg, Art: Carlos Cruz, Cover: Tessa, 36 pages. A continuation of the President Lubanga storyline.
- Frew is planning to release the first issue of The Phantom Magazine in September 1996 to coincide with the Australian release of the Phantom Movie. If it sells well, it will come out quarterly.
- the Monkey Mail mailing list is up and running. Look here for details.
- a paperback version of the Phantom Movie is now available. It is written by Rob
MacGregor, who used to write the Indiana Jones paperbacks. The publisher is Avon - welcome back!
- the Phantom Movie Trading Cards by Inkworks are due for release on 29 May 1996. Click here for a transcription of a promotional brochure from Inkworks.
- images of the Phantom (Billy Zane) with a "milk grin" are being used to promote dairy products in the USA!
|11 May 1996||
- WONDERFUL NEWS!!! The Phantom Movie web site is finally up and running, as of this morning. There's about 6Mb worth of stuff to go through and it's a beautifully made page. Plenty of movie stills, and details about the movie. Plus there's some great stuff about the Phantom's world. Enjoy!
|10 May 1996||
- Frew Phantom #1135 released; The Last Viking, Script: Norman Worker, Art: Hans Lindahl, Cover: Antonio Lemos, 36 pages
|9 May 1996||
- Update on the June issue (#227) of Starlog magazine (USA). There is a five page cover story by David McDonnell. Basically it is an interview with Billy Zane and features ten colour photos as well as a cover showing Zane in a dramatic, back-lighted pose holding his two 45s at the ready. Truly, the best article yet.
- The June issue of Cinefantastique (Vol. 27, #10) there is a two and a half page article by Dan Scapperotti with three colour photos dealing mostly with Jeffrey Boam's interpretation of the character. He notes that he had never read the strip, but loved it when he was introduced to the Phantom through materials provided him by "Paramount".
|3 May 1996||
- June 1996 issue of Starlog magazine (USA) has a feature story about The Phantom Movie, including a Phantom cover and an interview with Billy Zane.
- June 1996 issue of Sci-Fi Entertainment magazine (USA) has a 6 page interview with Jeffrey Boam, screenwriter for The Phantom Movie, and a heap of colour photos from the movie.
|30 Apr 1996||
- May 1996 issue of Cinescape magazine (Australia) has a half-page about The Phantom Movie, including two pictures of Billy Zane in costume.
|28 Apr 1996||
- Lee Falk's Birthday (any guesses on his age?)
|26 Apr 1996||
- Frew Phantom #1134 released; Fire in the Blood, Script: Tony de Paul, Art: Felmang / Waldrag, Cover: Tessa, 44 pages. A continuation of the President Lubanga storyline.
Includes a two page editorial Paramount's "The Phantom" with 8 exclusive photos.